Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Forgiveness

I love teaching Kindergarten. The days are always full of laughter, teaching, and learning. My kids constantly make me laugh. Today I had the opportunity to teach forgiveness to a five year old. We had a situation at legos during our developmental center time. It was serious. One child did not have a lego man to play with as he built his fort. So the child came over to tell me. He wanted a lego man! I walked over to the lego center to see if I could help solve the problem. I noticed that one child had two lego men so I said "I see that you have two lego man. This friend in our class does not have one and really would like it if you shared. That's what good friends do...they share. If you have two lego men you give one to your friend and you can keep one." Then the child I was talking to said, "I'm not his friend...I remember that one time when he hit me." This was a perfect teaching moment to teach about forgiveness. After I taught him what it means to forgive someone, the child immediately shared one of his lego men. I love how forgiveness in a 5 year old's mind is so simple and easy. I think we can learn alot from that. I absolutely love my kids...they are precious.

2 comments:

Ms. Schoelman said...

Cute story Meagan! It's so neat that you get to use teachable moments like that. I think those moments can easily be passed up if you aren't looking for them. Plus it's so funny to learn about forgiveness through lego men. :P

The Sages said...

haha..aw i love it!